No Comments! Be The First!
Last week I gave a talk at Devnexus about consuming RESTful services on Android. It was a really great experience and I did learn a few things.
They way I learned things was by reading the Android docs, the Android source, and writing demo code. Some of the interesting bits I learned were:
- AsyncTask won’t always work in a Service method. It will work in onCreate but not many places else.
- In general, don’t use AsyncTask.
- If you are performing a long operation (networking for example), use a Loader or a Service.
- Look at Googles iosched app for examples on how to do ANYTHING in Android. They put a ton of crap into it.
Here are the links to my slides and examples for general web consumption.
- Link to slides
- Link to all demos
- Link to Service and Loader example
- Link to OAuth 1 out of bounds example
- Link to Push example
- Link to AGReddit app